5 Tips to Prepare your Home for Fall Weather
Fall is our favorite season at SERVPRO of Norridge/Harwood Heights and now that the weather is getting cooler, it’s time to talk about some recommendations on how to get your home ready for fall.
- Clean your gutters- This is super important. When your gutters become clogged, they can cause damage in many different places in your home, like your foundation, your basement and your walls/ceiling. If this situation is rectified before winter, it can cause ice dams on the roof which can lead to more water damage. Check out our blog on ice dams here.
- Check for any drafts in your home- Weatherstripping your windows and doors can help prevent heat loss. Heat loss through windows is responsible for 25-30% of heating energy use.
- Change your filters- If your air filter is dirty, it’s harder for your blower fan in your HVAC system to push air, while also spreading dust, pollen and other small particles.
- Bring any outdoor furniture inside- In order to keep any outdoor furniture in its best condition, it's important to store it inside or under a tarp.
- Clean your fireplace/chimney- Your fireplace and chimney should be cleaned and inspected every 50 burns to prevent chimney fires.
These are a few of our favorite tips for getting your home ready for fall. What other recommendations do you have when it comes to preparing for fall?