It's National Grilling Month!
July is National Grilling Month and, while we can’t wait to celebrate all month long, we thought we should highlight some key tips to make sure everyone is grilling safely.
- Make sure your grill is at least 10 feet away from your home- Charcoal and gas grills are designed to be used outdoors only. Don’t set up your grill under wooden overhangs or any tree branches.
- Clean your grill regularly- Remove any fat/grease from the grill and the tray below the grill. If you use a charcoal grill, make sure your coals are cooled off before disposing of them in a metal container.
- Check for gas leaks- Before the season’s first barbecue, check the gas tank hose for leaks by applying a light soap and water solution to the hose and then turning on the gas. If there is a propane leak, the solution will bubble. Other signs of a propane leak include the smell of gas near the barbecue or a flame that won’t light.
- Be safe around the grill- Make sure to keep an eye on any children or pets to assure they do not play close to the grill. Never try to move a hot grill. Never leave the grill unattended.
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby- While having the extinguisher is important, you also have to know how to use it. If you do not know how to use it, call 911. Firefighters have stated that many fire deaths occur when people attempt to fight a fire by themselves instead of calling the station.
Remember these tips to stay safe this summer. SERVPRO of Norridge/Harwood Heights hopes you have a great summer!