Water Damage Timeline
Water damage can cause serious problems to your home or business, but the faster the problem is found, the faster you can call SERVPRO of Norridge/Harwood Heights to begin the restoration and limit the damage.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
As shown in the timeline, the damage can progress quickly. The best thing for you to do when discovering water damage is call SERVPRO of Norridge/Harwood Heights to begin the restoration so you will not have to experience the costly damage that can be inflicted over time.
If you currently have water damage, call us at 1-708-453-3655